Friday, September 23, 2011

How I met him by Amarie

I'd been in Ghana for 2 months already and not one piece of eye candy. The only advances I received were those of the drunken chiefs who wanted to marry me & were so insistent on doing so before I returned to London.

I'd given up, I had travelled to Accra, Kumasi, Sunyanye and a few other places - still nothing! And when I did see a guy that was okay-ish, he would be smitten with my Libyan friend and would spend all his time trying to woo her. Needless to say, I gave up. I didn't find them attractive and I guess the feeling was mutual.

One day, I was going to teach Dance in the summer camp, strolling along as usual, waving to the village residents. I walked in the class and saw this tall, caramel, well built figure with his back to me. I was so confused, I hadn't seen anybody like this in the village. I shrugged it off and started to prepare for the class, midway through my warm up, one of the little girls ran up to me and said 'akua (that's the name they gave me) meet my senior brother Edward'

Edward turned around, *I'm sure he did that in slow motion lol* and he smiled. I could have fainted there and then, he was beautiful. Big brown eyes, chiselled jaw, the whitest teeth I had ever seen, caramel complexion and strong built arms that I couldn't stop staring at. I must have drifted off with my thoughts because I hadn't introduced myself and his little sister was still tugging at my skirt.

Hi, I'm akua. He smiled and replied, 'obroni bibini' - I laughed. I asked if he would stay for the lesson but he said he had to run an errand. Over the next few days, we would hang out. I liked him, he liked me - it was so evident that my fellow volunteers used to make little jokes about it. I didn't care! He would ask me about London and I would ask him about his life etc.

His age had never come up before, I just assumed he was my age - I mean big muscles and all, he had to have been over 21! When I found out he had to return to boarding school, I was shocked, not even university. Edward was 17! *cries* 17!!!!!!!!!! He was talking about writing letters and all sorts to keep in contact but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up. He left for school 2 days before I left the village... I went to see him off. He said bye to everyone, gave me a big hug and slipped me a piece of paper. He slung his rucksack over his shoulder and got on the danfo.... And that was that!

I opened the paper he gave me and he had written his name and forwarding address. I knew I wouldn't send a letter to him but I kept it, came across it the other day and smiled, that's how I met Edward.

2 comments:

  1. Oh shucks...that sucks!
    seven----teeen???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I see it I'm eventually gonna be a cougar... So why not start now?
    Sunnie
    (.=

    ReplyDelete